Common Causes of Commercial Fires
One of the greatest defenses against commercial fires is to understand and mitigate your risks. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the five most common causes of commercial fires are 1) cooking equipment, 2) heating equipment, 3) electrical and alighting equipment, 4) smoking materials, and 3) intentional fire-setting.
- Cooking Equipment: Most common in restaurants but possible in any business that serves food, commercial fires caused by cooking equipment are extremely common. The high cooking temperatures, flammable oils and grease, and hectic nature of commercial kitchens make this the single most common cause of commercial fires.
- Heating Equipment: As with any mechanical equipment, furnaces, boilers, and radiators run the risk of overheating and, ultimately, starting a fire.
- Electrical and Lighting Equipment: All modern buildings have electrical wiring behind walls for light or power. However, the presence of potentially defective wiring, overloaded circuits, loose connections, imbalanced electrical loads, faulty fuses, and any other electrical or lighting problems carries the inherent risk of starting a fire.
- Smoking Materials: Lit cigars, cigarettes, and other smoking materials often start fires if disposed of incorrectly. Despite a decline in the popularity of smoking and the introduction of “fire-safe” cigarettes, smoking materials remain the fourth leading cause of commercial fires.
- Intentional Fire-Setting: Although one may assume that intentional fire-setting is a kinder term for arson, arson comprises a very small percentage of commercial fires. Rather, an intentional fire can be defined as any fire which occurs as a result of the deliberate misuse of a heat source. This often leads to unexpected or accidental consequences by the fire-starter rather than outcomes of criminal intent.
We at SERVPRO of Gilbert, Chandler South, Ahwatukee and South Tempe are familiar with the extent of damage that can occur in commercial fires. Too often, we are tasked with cleaning and restoring a destroyed kitchen or charred office. That is why we seek to provide you with information to help prevent the disaster from occurring in the first place.
If a fire affects your commercial property, call us at (480) 558-7620. Our technicians offer extensive knowledge regarding all aspects of fire damage and understand its impact on your business's productivity. Therefore, we prioritize speed and efficiency, so your business is back up and running at full capacity in the shortest time possible. “Faster to Any Disaster.”